A Quick Note about "Home"

Home.

Home is a funny word.
In the past few years especially, it has been one of the most confusing words to me. One I've pondered over for countless hours.
When someone asks you, "Where are you from? Where is home for you?" and you don't know quite how to answer, it messes with you just a little bit.
For the longest time, I would say Nebraska. Right off the bat, no question about it, but now I have spent more of my life away from Nebraska then the time I actually lived there. Texas too will always be special to me, but it is not my home. I don't have a home.
I think I have been processing this for years, but it really has just started to make sense to me in the past month. Helping other kids go through the changes of mission life, I have realized things about my attitude, character, and outlook I never thought of or had seen before.
The more and more I grow up, the more and more I see that this earth is not my home. I struggle with not having a true home, with being a sojourner, a wanderer in a land where so many people can say, "I'm from here". It is hard to explain to friends and even harder to explain to family that I am not home. Especially when I travel and come back and everyone asks, "Aren't you happy to be home?!" or, "How does it feel to be home?!". I don't know how to answer that.
But! How lucky I am. I am so incredibly blessed to have lived and visited so many places that each one holds a special piece of my heart. Each place, in a sense, holds a tiny piece of what I suspect it feels like to be "home". The tightly packed houses of Brussels, the dusty dirty Reynosa roads, the beautiful green hilly Omaha, and the scorching hot heat of the Valley. Each one has shaped me as an individual, but I am not defined by any one them.
Living a third-culture kid life is not easy. It never will be easy, but my does it open your heart to the world. It opens your heart to travel, culture, friends from all over. It has opened my heart to see the beauty in differences and even celebrate them. It has opened my heart to not be worried about where the Lord might send me.
It has opened my heart to see the home I truly long for.
How sweet will it be to enter my true and perfect home with Christ in glory, when I have never fully experienced that here on earth. I look forward to that day when I feel completely "home".

Comments

Popular Posts