8 Ways to Thrive During Corona Quarantine

The past few weeks have strange for the entire world- you aren't alone in this! However, hopefully you are physically pretty isolated these days. I too am in this weird in-between. Tomorrow I was supposed to be leaving for the mission field for 6 months, now I am stuck here in the US for who knows how long. Hours at my job are getting pretty sparse, leaving me with a lot of time to be home. Over the last week I've made a list of what's helping me to stay sane cooped up at home. Maybe some of these things are what you're doing as well, or maybe they can help you add something new to your new routine!


#1- Set a Schedule
I don't know about y'all, but I find myself saying, "I just don't have the time to do that right now," a lot. Well, now I honestly have NO reason to say that. At the beginning of this week when I found out I was going to be home for a good portion of the week all day, everyday, I sat down to intentionally schedule out my time. I didn't follow this to a T the whole week, some things changed, but for the most part it kept me productive and at the end of each day I felt like I had accomplished something. It was nice to be phone-free most of the day too. 

#2- Wake Up Early (ish)
Now is a super great time to enjoy rest if you are stuck at  home, but don't let it mess up your routine. Sure, sleep in a little longer than you are used to, but don't let yourself sleep the day away! Wake up, make coffee, have a devotional time. My mom always said to us growing up, "Up, up, up! Today is a great day for up!"

#3- Set Time away from your Phone
Turn off your notifications, put your phone on silent, and leave the room. Spend time away from the constant news stories and rest in the quiet. Unplug- do something you love! Give your mind (and maybe your anxiety) a rest from the chaos. Don't let the news define your emotions for the day. Step outside, fell the sunshine, take a second to breath.

#4- Read a Book 
One of the things I've always loved about reading is that it can bring you into another world. For just a little while, you can get lost in an enchanted land with a singing lion (hello Narnia!) or go back in time to follow someone else's journey. Little escapes are nice right now. Read something to further you knowledge/challenge yourself. Read something to go back to a comforting & familiar place. Whatever you choose, pick up a book! 

#5- Cultivate a New Hobby
Take this time to grow a passion for something you've always wanted to try, but never had the time to! Take the time to be creative, whether that's cooking, painting, writing, or reading. Over the past few weeks I've picked up learning to play the piano again after almost 12 years. It's been challenging and so fun! I've also been creating some type of art each day, which is incredibly healing and calming for me. I think there is something like that out there for everyone! 

#6- Watch the Sunrise/Sunset
Though our town is in a "shelter-in-place" one thing we are still allowed to do is exercise outside. Every night I've been taking a long walk through our neighborhood at sunset. There is nothing that shows the consistency and control of our God more than seeing the sun rise and set each day. It is a beautiful reminder that these days are strange and unfamiliar, but here is our God faithful to make the sun rise and set every single day. It calms my heart. ( Plus exercise is a proven mood-booster!) 

#7- Meditate in the Word
Right now more than ever our hearts need to be anchored in the truth. Set apart time to dig deep into the word and prayer. I've really been encouraged by A Month of Prayer, released by the PCA General Assembly this month. Also by the Mission St. Clare Prayer App. I'm thankful to have this time to get back into a good routine of reading and praying. 

#8- Check in with Family and Friends
Remember that you aren't alone in this new season of life. Almost all of the world is in the exact same situation! Reach out to family and friends. Call, email, FaceTime, or write some good ol' snail mail! I think I've talked to more friends and family in the past two weeks than I have in two years! As quarantine goes on and on, I've realized how vital friendship is. Those close and far away! People need people. I am so thankful to the Lord for the beautiful and encouraging friendships he has given me in this time.





Comments

Popular Posts